Monday, May 18, 2009

Ban the Chemicals: a Business Proposition

I am at my computer right now, writing an article for the paper about the province of Ontario's ban of cosmetic pesticides.

Interviewing many people, it is very interesting to hear various views on the subject.

Business owners, in the lawn care industry, are definitely being hurt by it. Ok, I get that - they need to feed their families too.

Many individuals are very pro-ban (is that a word? it sounds like a brand of sunglasses). Why not? Who wants chemicals in their food, water, children (aaagh.....that's the reality isn't it - these things are ending up inside our children's growning bodies).

Of course, I am very excited about the chemical ban.

HOwever, I do sympathize with those whose livelihood has been dependent upon it.

I have the solution!

Make the kids pull the weeds and kill the bugs (for individuals).

Hire out your kids to pull the weeds and kill the bugs for other people (for businesses hurt by the ban).

I'm joking about that previous statement, obviously.

I was speaking to a lawn care business owner, who did have something positive to say. He felt that people would have to become better gardeners/growers in order to make things thrive without chemicals.

I heartily agree. And what a wonderful business opportunity - so many people have become reliant upon chemicals and they don't know any other way of making their vegetables blemish-free and their lawns green and weedless.

Those with the know-how will be able to lead the way in their industry, and educate and help people become better ( and chemical free ) in their nurturing of their home herbage.

Hmmm, perhaps a new line of work????? Do I want to go back to teaching when my maternity leave ends?

Well, ok, I do love teaching....but perhaps others will pick up on this idea and run with it (please feel free to send me a "cut" when you start making the big bucks).

In the meantime, the rest of us will get out our hoe's and get to work (the garden kind, people!!!!!!!!).

And the best bit of advice that I got was from a long-time family friend, Carol Loveridge. She simply grows exra vegetables so that the bugs can have their share, and that there are plenty left for her.

How simple is that! No chemicals required.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory