The kids are napping right now, and I am procrastinating from sorting clothes. Their closets are full of things that are currently too small, and I need to dig out bigger clothes so that they don't look like homeless waifs with their pants halfway up to their knees and sleeves to their elbows because they have outgrown everything. Every mom that I know hates doing the clothing sort and I think I know why - once you finally get it all done you end up with a pile of "stuff" that you don't know what to do with.
By the way, just as an aside, why is this always a mom job? I have never met any man who does this task. They all seem to think that properly fitting clothes just keep appearing in the kids' closets... but that's a rant I will just leave for another day.
Anyhow, I just love to recycle clothing, but it's not exactly yard sale season right now, so what the heck do you do with all those outgrown pajamas and t-shirts. Well, here is my secret. In Manitowaning, the Knox United Church will happily take donations of clothing, toys, household items, nearly anything. AND, the back porch of the Sunday School is always open for you to leave items in the vestibule, 24/7. So, next time you are on a midnight cleaning spree, you can take your items right away and get rid of them; no need to wait for morning!
Several times a year they then have a huge rummage sale, so you can go and purchase items and give them a second chance in your own home; saving the planet, the landfill, and perhaps best of all, saving you money. Of course, if you are like me, it is an opportunity to go and buy back all the things that you accidentally donated in the first place and then decided that you needed them back. . .
Do you have a place that you like to donate used items to be recycled? Please include it in the comments at the end of this post, so others can make donations as well.
52 Blocks 52 Weeks Challenge
7 years ago


Blog Search Engine
Speaking of recycling kids' clothing and other paraphenalia, there is now a great Facebook group: Manitoulin Moms Online Yardsale...check it out :)
ReplyDelete