Saturday, November 29, 2008

One Less Plastic Bag

Plastic shopping bags are handed out world-wide at a rate of 1 million PER MINUTE!!!

The City of Dryden, Ontario is taking a very proactive approach to reducing the plastic bag problem. Check out their website at http://www.onelessplasticbag.ca/index.html. Imagine what could happen if all of Manitoulin did something similar. . .

Last night, in a whirlwind trip to Sudbury ( I know, I know, CO2 emissions for the drive, but I really needed a night out), I did manage to do all of my shopping and consume only 2 plastic bags. They were huge bags that can double as household garbage bags, because they were so big. To make myself feel even better, they were from Value Village, and I was doing my part of reducing my purchasing of new products and saving items from the landfill.

Incidentally, I got some great toys for my kids, at a fraction of the cost of new. A good cleaning and they are ready to start their second life in my household, and in future can be used by some other child. Think of all the saved packaging, raw materials AND $$$. Every little thing counts!

1 comment:

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory