Monday, March 23, 2009

Big Day Out at the Dump



Well, I had quite an exciting trip yesterday....all the way to the local landfill aka the dump. Yup, it's just as disgusting as I last remember it (which is why I never go there and make my husband do the dirty work).

Nothing like spending a lovely Sunday afternoon stomping around in mud, garbage and who knows what, to the sounds of seagulls squawking overhead and the smell of rotting garbage wafting up to meet my nostrils.

Just for entertainment value, I took some lovely scenic photos of our local landfill, and I hope you enjoy!

However, there is a ray of sunshine in the Assiginack dump situation, and that is that the Township has recently received a Building Canada grant in order for improvements to the landfill site.


The monies will be going towards the development of waste diversion, such as recycling and composting.


If I were in charge, here is what I would like to see:



  • a composter program, whereby residents would be given a free composter for home use, or could purchase one for a nominal charge

  • a recycling depot set up for paper, plastic, glass and metal containers

  • an on-site composter available for those who did not/could not do composting at home

  • the use of weekly garbage tags, which would limit residents to a certain number of bags of waste per week, and anything over and above would require a tipping fee

  • mandatory use of clear plastic bags for the disposal of household waste so that recycling could be enforced, and no one would be able to "sneak in" their recycles with the rest of the garbage

  • fines for those who don't "play by the rules", and the refusal of unsorted garbage

Granted, I wouldn't be making a whole lot of new friends, but those who already know and like me, and those with an environmental awareness may like me even better :-)


So, who wants to vote for my plan???

4 comments:

  1. The dump always terrified me when I was little. People just drive up to the edge and toss their garbage down a cliff. I was always soooo terrified that our truck would fall over the edge into the garbage. When we reshingled the house in Sudbury we brought the old shingles to the dump. The sudbury dump is even scarier. So many huge machines driving over all the garbage. Sudbury does have a pretty good recycling program though. Between recycling and composting I don't really create a lot of garbage. Still always trying to reduce it even more though. I would vote for your plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally support change; I would vote for your plan but I do crinch at the thought of having to pay for extra bags because with our BIG family we probably go through more waste than the avarage household. Regardless...I know if proper recycling and composting services are in place I can make it work becasue when I lived in Barrie I made it work in a group home of 6 adults. We were limited to 2 bags per week. It takes some getting use to and organization but is doable. The sooner the better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is a great idea, they would have to figure out what businesses would do though.

    and if we had to pay for extra bags for our household it would sure make us try harder! I think clear bags is definitely the way to go. perhaps, they could do a once or twice a year where you could go over the limit, or give 1-2 'extra' tags to use at your judgement. for example , I might use my 'extra' one at Christmas.
    It would be nice for Assiginack to step up to the times, it is no excuse that just because we are a small town we take so long to get going on things. Some may argue, because we are small, it should take us a shorter amount of time, less people to reach.
    I hope these comments can be passed onto council, even if some want their names not shown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the compost idea...I think it would be great to have a community compost pile at the dump....was thinking that the other day! And for those of us who take the time to seperate paper, and glass, really, it wouldn't be that much more work!

    ReplyDelete

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory