April 22nd is Earth Day - and it is also the date that the Cosmetic Pesticide Ban begins in the province of Ontario.
So what does this mean?
It means that you are no longer able to use chemicals to kill weeds and bugs for cosmetic reasons. That includes your lawn, driveway, patio, and flower and vegetable gardens.
I imagine that the next few days will incite a flurry of activity as many rush out to dump "-icides" all over their properties before the ban goes into effect. I know - so cynical.
I have never used chemicals on my lawn or garden. I will admit that , technically, my lawn is really only a lame spattering of shade-loving moss and spreading weeds - and my garden consists of a few post of herbs and impatiens ( gotta love that shade).
Quite possibly there are entire communities of people quaking over the thought of rogue dandelions and other perceived nasties, taking over their yards. What will they ever do???
They could always take up wine-making and eating greens for salad. Incidentally, I have never tried either, but have always wanted to. The problem is that I never remember to pick the greens until I see the air filled with dandelion seed - oops, too late! If you have tried them, let me know how they taste, or better yet, remind me to pick my own in time.
There are many organic weed solutions. There are also a variety of ways to deal with pests of the insect and other assorted vermin varieties too.
You can always do what my parents did - make bug picking and weed pulling punishments for crimes against siblings! (although it didn't stop us from committing them, it just made us work harder at getting away with it).
Be sure and spread the word of Ontario's pesticide ban - especially to any annoying neighbours with a picture perfect lawn! Now you have the perfect excuse for the condition of your own - like me, you can say that you were being green.
52 Blocks 52 Weeks Challenge
7 years ago


Blog Search Engine
No comments:
Post a Comment
Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.