
When you get your haircut, as a mom, it is probably one of the few chances you get in a day to sit down, relax, and talk about things other than why "yes, you need a nap, you are grouchy....and no more sandbox until you do!"
At my last haircut, we got to discussing "green" lifestyle habits and I got to hear all about what is probably the neatest "green" bit that I have come across.
A local Island resident actually takes his own homegrown grain and makes his own flour. Then, he bakes his own bread.
Living on The Rock, which is largely composed of just that - rock - we aren't exactly known for our wheat and cereal grain crops. However, most local farmers do put in some various grains for seed and animal feed.
What a great idea! Since you know what you are spreading on your own crops (and hopefully they are for the most part organic) you know what you are eating. No bleach used to whiten the flour, and wholesome full-grain goodness.
The home mill is the really unique part. Apparently, all you do is dump in the grain, turn it on, grind it up, and there it is - ready to use.
If I ever come across one of these things - I would be fascinated to try it.
I have no idea how old this mill is, but I know it didn't just roll of the line in China last week.
Check out the picture (thanks Linda and Ronnie) - pretty neat! (I had some others but blogger wasn't working properly and I couldn't upload.) I sure would love to try some of that bread. And I bet you could come up with some pretty great breakfast/porridge concoctions with it too.
Boy, people in the past sure had it figured out better than we do. It seems that every step forward we make in the name of technology and "progress", we take several steps backwards in the name of our own health and the health of the planet.


Blog Search Engine
No comments:
Post a Comment
Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.