Tuesday, April 21, 2009

One Simple Thing for Earth Day

Tomorrow is Earth Day - and I know there are community events going on globally - but you don't have to make a big outing of it. All you need to do is one "extra" thing and you are taking party in the celebration of our planet (or what is left of it, in some parts of our world).

Personally, I think a lovely way to celebrate would be to have the day to myself to be outside and hike, enjoying the outdoors - and the peace and quiet, listening to the birds. Unfortunately, the reality will be that I will be listening to my toddler whine (or scream/shriek/yell/throw a fit), which will then set off my youngest, and then the dog will probably get in on the action and start barking. *Sigh* Such a nice pipe dream!

But, we will be going for a walk, and taking along some garbage bags (recycled plastic ones - but I didn't buy them around here as I haven't found them anywhere.....I do live on a rock you know). The kids and I are going to pick up garbage around the neighbourhood, and hopefully avoid any major downpours - seeing as how the delightful forecast calls for rain all week. In the words of Winne the Pooh, "Oh, bother!".

We will probably spend the rest of the day indoors, drying out as I'm sure we (I) will end up soaked (did I mention my kids have a lovely covered stroller for their comfort and riding pleasure - it's mommy that gets the shaft, as usual :-) Perhaps we will draw on recycled paper aka printing on one side. We will probably read some books about the Earth from my Earth Day collection that I use for teaching. We will definitely be planting some tomato seeds to finally get our seedlings started.

For local readers, Assiginack Public School is inviting parents and grandparents to their Earth Day activities tomorrow, from 11:30 to 1:30, so be sure and stop by if you get a chance, and show your support and interest to the students.

Any plans for Earth Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory