Sunday, February 8, 2009

Gee, That Looks GoodOnYa







Over the years, I have tried quite a few different nutrition bars, sports bars, protein bars...and the truth is, I haven't found any that I like. In fact, in an endurance race, I would rather fight the pangs of hunger than try to swallow and stomach an energy bar - bleeeccchh!

What is even MORE stomach-turning is the ingredient list on many of these bars...they sound like chemical formulas for drain cleaner (and in my experience, some of the bars have just that effect on one's digestive system, but I won't go into details on THAT).


Enter, the GoodOnYaBar.


I admit, I was a bit skeptical when I went to try them, because I really haven't been able to eat any kind of bars in the past (with the exception of chocolate bars, but my post-baby body doesn't really need too many of those in my life).


So, I made hubby have the first bite - I'm not stupid!


We didn't get a chance to try out the bars while training or working out (who has time to train and work out with two little kids anyway), but we did try them out in a practical, real-life situation: a marathon grocery-shopping trip at the end of a long day with two cranky kids (hey, that should count as a sport!).


I grabbed the first bar, Maple Dark Chocolate, and turned it over to read the ingredients: 100% Organic Raw Blonde Flax Seeds, 100% Organic Raw Hemp seeds...Organic Fair Trade Chocolate....100% Pure Organic Unfiltered Maple Syrup...for the complete, ordered ingredient list click here. The ingredient list read like a recipe that I could whip up in my own kitchen, if I had the time that is. The bars are USDA Organic, mostly raw, and low in sugar compared to most bars - hurrah!


When I went to open the wrapper, I was somewhat surprised at how "tough" it felt. These bars would definitely survive a long trip in a crowded backpack, or even a pocket. I later learned that the wrappers have a story of their own.

According to Kris Fillat, the founder of the bars and a U.S. Olympic Field Hockey athlete, they are the first company in the world to use a "material" for a nutrition bar.
It is certified biodegradable. It’s made from sustainable wood and veggies. In a
word, it’s incredible.This is not green marketing. We pay .26 for each wrapper.
That is more than some other companies actual cost of their bar!


That IS incredible! But how does it all taste?

Well, I am going to admit to a bit of gluttony here, for hubby and I tried all three flavours of the bars at once; Maple Dark Chocolate, Peanut Butter Chocolate, Peanut Butter Honey...he ate most of them... that's my story anyway.



DELICIOUS! Our hands-down favourite is the Peanut Butter Chocolate, which is their #1 seller. This tasted better than a chocolate bar, and is much better for you. I could definitely stomach this on an 8-hour or longer race, although I would probably have to use precious energy trying to fight off other people wanting a "bite" of it.


The only con? These bars are made in San Diego and sold in the U.S. Great for you Americans, but not so great for us Canadians. However, I'm sure arrangements could be made to ship some boxes or cases to Canada, so get your friends or teammates together and order some GoodOnYaBars. Or even better, maybe some Canadian retailers will pick up these amazing goodies.


These bars really will look GoodOnYa, and taste GoodInYa!

3 comments:

  1. We will have to give those a try. The only I will eat now are odawalla's and cliff bars. Most of them are way to sweet. Reading the ingrediants I might as well have a snickers. or, up where you are an Aero. (I lived in Kamloops for a short while as a young kid). Some of them don't like me!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to clarify, do you mean the ingredients of bars other than GoodOnYa, and the two brands you mention? I have updated my post to include a link for the complete list of ingredients in the Maple Chocolate....it is amazingly simple and healthy! Clif bars are the only other ones I will eat on rare occassions, and I have never heard of Odawalla's...I will have to check it out...(probably not available here in the frozen north!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So these cannot be purchased anywhere in Canada at all? If not, too bad, because they sound great!

    ReplyDelete

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory