Friday, February 20, 2009

Locally Green


Living in a rural area, "local" has quite a different meaning from those of you in the big city. For example, when I was growing up here on the Rock, our "neighbours" were so far that you usually drove to get to their house.

To go "to town" these days, I still have to drive for 10 minutes. The nearest fast-food? Well, that's an hour's drive away. And to do any major shopping or see a movie, gee, that's gonna take at least two hours out of your day, and that's just the drive ONE WAY!

So local really is quite subjective - and here I am using the term to encompass an area of within 2 hours of driving.

Anyhow, I have come across some great green "local" sites that may interest you.


Manitoulin Uprising is a Manitoulin blog. "Economic, social, cultural, and technological systems are changing all over the world, and some of the changes have a major impact on the most basic systems of all: ecosystems. . . this blog aims to carry reports and reflections on new systems emerging on Manitoulin Island, and their connections with other systems around us."

Green Sudbury is a site with links to a wide variety of news items, blog articles, and pretty much everything else you can find on the net that has to do with being green, especially but not exclusively, items that pertain to the area.


EarthCare Sudbury is "a unique partnership between the City of Greater Sudbury, over 100 community, agencies, organizations and businesses, and hundreds of individuals coming together to chart our own course for a greener, healthier and more sustainable community". Their site includes a list of green partners, a Youth's Corner with listings of activities, and a link to the Greater Sudbury Carpooling Network.


I have just stumbled across these links the past few days, without really intending to (procrastinating from too much laundry). If you have any others that I should add, that are "loosely local" or of other interest, please let me know so that I can add them.
Now I have to go get ready to go grocery shopping . . . and it's going to be at least a half day expedition to go to "town" so I had better start packing............

1 comment:

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory