Thursday, February 26, 2009

Who says money can't buy happiness??

I'm sick of winter. I'm sick of snowsuits. I'm sick of lost mittens. I'm sick of wet socks. I'm sick of getting- all -bundled- up -to -go- outside- only- to- have- to- come -back -inside -after -mere- minutes- in -the -outdoors- due -to- an -emergency- potty- break.


So, today, I found a great way to break the winter monotony - we went shopping!


Before you freak out on the consumerism and lack of greenness of that statement, let me explain: we went "shopping" at our local church rummage sale.


There was much anticipation as we got bundled up and loaded into the van for our big outing. My daughter had her giant silver purse with her, as well as her favourite "baby", granola bars for a snack, stainless steel water bottle with tap water (hey - we are paying a fortune for our new community water system, we darn well are going to drink tap water)... and I had the backpack for my son in order to leave my hands free for the rummaging.


Truth be told, I really needed my hands free in case I needed to drag a melting-down child out of the Sunday School Hall if she decided that she needed to "buy back" numerous items that I had previously donated to the sale, without her knowing or her approval.


When we got to the church, dear daughter made a beeline for the toy table, while I browsed through children's clothing for some great deals. It was a bit tricky to maneuver with the huge backpack, and to all of you out there, particularly the senior citizens, that I managed to slam into unknowingly with the backpack, I apologize profusely.


What easy entertainment for yet another winter day. My daughter found a "new" baby to love, and she happily picked out numerous other items to purchase. I let her pick whatever she wished....most items only cost a quarter! She browsed for at least a half an hour - and I knew when we got home, I would have several more hours of peace as she played with her latest acquisitions.


It was a great day. I purchased a variety of children's clothing including several pairs of nearly new jeans, a winter jacket and several brand-name sweatshirts for the low-low price of 25 cents each! Really!!

I also got a fabulous play tent for the kids, and my daughter had several great "princess" finds amongst her new treasures. All told, my total came to $5.25. Truly. It almost felt sacrilegious, and since all proceeds were going to the church, I made a monetary donation to them as well - a good cause, and to help with my guilt for the amazing bargains (almost felt like stealing- and who knows - maybe money can help rent me a spot up above someday).

All told, a fabulous, inexpensive and green day. Not to mention sooooooo easy on the parenting front. Hey, maybe money CAN buy some happiness, for a few hours anyway.

For those of you local readers, the Knox United Church in Manitowaning will be continuing their rummage sale tomorrow from 10-6, and on Saturday as well. Happy shopping!

3 comments:

  1. That is the way to shop. I have found some great treasures. Although I live in a little bit of a warmer climate then you, I too am sick of winter. Spring please spring.

    BP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post!
    BTW, I have something for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments - they have perked up,yet another, cruddy winter day!

    ReplyDelete

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory