Sunday, February 22, 2009

My Daughter Has Green Hair

Before I had kids, I used to marvel at the wide variety of products available in the drugstores for kids' bath times - the yummy-smelling shampoos, the fruity and fun bubble bath - so much stuff that wasn't available when I was little.


Of course, I now marvel at what companies are selling for use on our children's delicate bodies - basically they are nasty chemical soup with a cartoon character and bright colours on the bottle.


I have been choosing green products for myself and my family - as many as I can find. But it's not as easy as just going to the nearest store and picking out some fabulous green product that works well. Living here in rural Northern Ontario, there isn't the variety, and it takes time to peruse countless websites and product reviews to order something over the web. So, I confess, I took a shortcut when it came to my daughter's hair.


My little girl has the beautiful hair that I would have died for as a child...thick, wavy brunette hair that she was born with. Her hair is the envy of many - but those are the people who don't have to try to brush it. You can't even touch her hair (as many admirers attempt to do) without a scathing...


"DON'T TOUCH MY HAIR".


For a 2 year-old, she can sure bellow! So, she usually has so many knots in her dark brown mane that it looks as though I am allowing my toddler to grow dreadlocks.


I finally succumbed to the pull of the local pharmacy to find SOMETHING to make brushing easier and less painful for both myself and her. All I could find was a detangler that was green all right, but that was just the colour of the bottle. I tried it once or twice, and the smell was so overpoweringly sweet, and the ingredient list so suspicious that I relegated it to the back corner of the cupboard.


But I still had a kid with a rat's nest.


Then I came across the Nayla Natural Care web store. The owner Gwen carries some great "green" product lines that she has obviously done the the research on, and they are safe for you and your little cuties. She carries the TruKid line (which I had never heard of until I saw it on her site), and lo and behold, they make a Dancing Detangler.


Aha!


So, I've tried the detangler, and the toughest critic, my daughter has approved it. It has a wonderful light scent, is all natural, and it is nice and light, not greasy in her hair. It comes in a bright, funky spray bottle, and it makes dealing with the nasty knots and tatty tangles a little more enjoyable and a lot less painful. You can use it in hair that is wet, dry, clean or even dirty (believe me, I have tested them all....especially the dry and dirty).

Perhaps best of all, the Cosmetic Safety Database rates it as a level 2 (0-2 are good with low risk; the higher the rating, the worse the product is for you).


Other items in the TruKid line include shampoos, washes, and lotions. They also carry a sunscreen which has one of the lowest/best ratings that I have come across, and I can't wait to try that out ... if winter EVER ends that is! (The kids and I have started to hibernate and I'm not sure if we will see the light of day again, at least until the snow is gone - I'm even ready to welcome the muddy season!)

Be sure and check out Nayla Natural Care for products for more green products for mom, babies and kids - I love the lines that they carry for everything from the outdoors, to breastfeeding to household cleaning. They have free shipping for orders over $150, which is a great bonus, as well as a selection of sale items.

As for my daughter's hair? Well, no more dreadlocks, but don't you dare try and touch her hair!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Off to check out the link now. Oh, and what am I doing up at 4 AM? I've got a fussy, nursing 3 month old preemie on my lap who thinks it would be nice to keep her mom up too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard about washing your hair with baking soda and rinsing with apple cider vinegar? I haven't done the baking soda part but I am amazed at the vinegar rinse. My hair isn't curly, but I've heard from others with curly hair that say it works great. I wasn't super fond of the smell at first, but I got some essential oils to add to it and now I'm starting to associate the smell of ACV with clean, just like I have with white vinegar for all my other cleaning. I'm not sure what a kid would think about it though... Maybe something to think about for yourself? I figured it was worth a try. If you already have it in your house you won't even have to go out and buy anything new. The smell of the vinegar disappears after it dries, although I asked my sister after I got out of the shower the first time (before essential oils) and she said she couldn't smell it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion - I have heard of it, but not of anyone who had tried it. I already have the ACV, so it's worth a shot. We already use vinegar for cleaning and have no problem with that smell.

    ReplyDelete

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory