Wednesday, February 25, 2009

GREEN GIVEAWAY WEDNESDAY: FreshIsle Fibers Yarn


Manitoulin Island is known for many things: fresh, clean water, beautiful scenery, Haweater weekend (technically a cultural thing, but realistically a beverage-party type thing), First Nations, Pow-Wows...


...and sheep.


Well, maybe not. But there are sheep here. And they do have wool on them. And wool can be knit into sweaters. So I guess we can be known for wool.


Freshisle Fibers is a locally-owned business. Their unique product is 100% Suffolk (that's a type of sheep for all you urban types) yarn.



Fleece is collected from various sheep farmers on Manitoulin Island after their spring shearing. The raw fleece is then sent to a mill for processing. No
harmful chemicals are used in the processing, therefore, the yarn may contain small bits of straw or grass. These small bits tend to fall out when knitting or can be picked out. The natural un-dyed yarn still contains a bit of lanolin.

One of said farmers happens to be my parents - yup, you could end up wearing a sweater grown by yours truly. ( Ok, truth is, I actually have nothing to do with the farm, other than ooh and aah over how cute the little lambs are...that was my goal in life as a teenager...to move away from the farm - oh, and I also don't knit - well, I do knit, but very poorly, and every project I have ever started has been finished by my mother, but I digress...)


So why is this wool "green"? Well, it does come in a variety of colours other than green, and it is hand-dyed in small batches. The dyes are not the nasty chemicals found in chain stores, but rather, most are obtained from local wildflowers, nuts, berries, barks. Those which are purchased are natural dyes.


Because it is grown locally, it has a much smaller carbon footprint than it would be if the wool was shipped in from elsewhere. As well, the mill that processes was specifically chosen because it's environmentally friendly! They do not use any of the harsher chemicals that most mills use to wash and clean the fleece. That's why the finished yarn still contains some lanolin and the odd bits of vegetable matter (hay, grass, stuff!).


Another thing that makes Freshisle Fibers wool an eco-friendly choice is because the locally-raised sheep are not exposed to chemical dips and other ugly things that have been done to sheep in other parts of the world. They are also free-range and pasture-fed (and in some cases, garden-fed too - my mother just LOVES when they break free to graze amongst the corn and tomato plants).


Freshisle Fibers has a wide variety of products available for all your knitting needs (or in case you don't knit, your gifting needs). I just love the self-striping yarn - all you do is knit and the pattern creates itself....(or all you do is have someone else knit, as in my case). Be sure and check out the Freshisle online shop for a large selection of wool, free patterns, and photos of beautiful finished products.


This week's giveaway is a skein of yarn from Freshisle Fibers. Included is also a scarf pattern to knit up. If you don't knit, it would make a great gift for someone who does (especially if they, in turn, gift the completed item back to you!).


To enter, please leave a comment about knitting, wearing knitted clothes, wool, or anything to do with the topic - even sheep! If you want an extra entry, leave another comment about which Free Knitting Pattern, from the Freshisle Fibers' site, you like the most. Enter by March 10, 2008. Contest is open to Canadian residents only.

25 comments:

  1. I learned to knit a couple of years ago. It's a great hobby - it can be relaxing or challenging depending on the pattern, you get to work with some beautiful materials, and when you're done you have something useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Hunters' Socks pattern the most. It looks like it would make some really comfortable socks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I knit very poorly, however I do love it, so I hope I win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If find knitting is a green hobby for me. If I knit when I am bored or restless, I am less likely to go shopping for something I don't knit. (It's the "Reduce" of the three Rs.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Hedwig or Reddy the Fox cloth patterns, because I haven't tried illusion knitting yet, and I am curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I have been reading Marian's blog almost since the beginning. It caught my 'net' eye because for many, many years, my husband and I holidayed on Manitoulin. The Island holds a special place in my heart.
    I have been a knitter for 30 or so years. I have used Marian's yarn for watermelon socks and mittens. Her generic mitten patten is THE BEST!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have knit for more than 40 years, but I particularly remember designing and knitting tiny little Chanel style suits for my 3 sisters' Barbies. While I have knit socks before, last year I discovered self striping socks and have knit several pairs for my family and have another pair on the go. I have yet to try handpainted or handdyed yarns but I am mesmerized by the lush colours and designs so it's only a matter of time! I am trying to use up all the yarn I have before buying more, but I am not that disciplined!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the look of the short watermelon socks and the scarf pattern! I'm anxious to try the Freshisle yarns and think I'll do socks or a scarf for everyone for Christmas this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like amazing yarn!!

    I posted about your contest on WiKnit (http://wiknit.blogspot.com), which is my knitting contest blog. And I'll be sure to add Freshisle Fibers to my Green Knitter (http://greenknitter.com) website, which is all about eco-friendly knitting. Amazing how this contest brings together my two usually separate sites!

    (p.s. I can't enter because I'm in the States, but I wanted to leave you a comment anyways :) )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knitting has been the greatest form of stress relief for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the watermelon socks the most...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting yarn company! Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I knit, and it's not always easy to do it in a really eco-friendly way, so I appreciate knowing about this new-to-me resource. I also spin, and I wish they would offer roving (wool prepared for spinning) - I guess I'll have to ask them about it.
    As for the pattern that I like best among those they offer on their website, it's the Watermelon Wedges socks. It's really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm also ineligible (I'm in the US) but wanted to say how lovely your (or your parents') yarns are. I particularly love the black walnut and indigo. Fabulous. I may NEED some. And how interesting about the green-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found your site today. Looks interesting. I am a knitter and love natural fibers especialy close to home. I hope to get to Gore Bay to check out your yarns in person. I checked out your patterns and can't to try the apple cozy. Check out http://www.knittingdaily.com/

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  15. well, i like the lambs.... not that I am hinting for an invite out to a farm that has lambs, by anyone reading this blog......

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a new knitter but just love it. I find it calming to do the repetitive movements while watching tv or something. And I can challenge myself with harder patterns. And at the end, I have something useful. Plus, it gives me something in common with my Grandma and aunts. And yarn! Pretty pretty yarn! I got some in the mail this week and my sister laughed at me as I rubbed it against my face.

    I am interested in getting some more local yarn though. If I'm on the island this summer is it possible to go there and buy some without the shipping costs?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, and my favourite pattern... I think I have to go with the single skein softspun scarf. I really like the watermelon wedge socks though too. And would like to try those warm looking hunter's socks

    ReplyDelete
  18. my mom taught me to knit when i was 4 years old.. probably i was driving her crazy with questions, and it was easier to give me needles. it's now 47 years later, and knitting remains my passion... in fact, i manage a lys.

    manitoulin island sounds like such a great place to visit...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so happy that I found out about this fiber - I love how green it is and I love the story about the sheep in the garden. I've knit for the past 5 or so years, unless you count the multiple false starts that I had while I was a kid. I love that I feel productive while I knit and yet I relax - it is hard to turn off completely after a day of work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. In terms of my favorite knitting pattern, well I figure it will change day by day but today I really like the softspun mittens - it is a cold one in Calgary today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I live on the Island too, and I was surprised that my brother's co-worker asked me to get her some Freshisle Fibers stuff...and they're in Kingston!!! Looks like Manitoulin's made a name for itself all over the map!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Knitting makes me crazy and keeps me sane, depending on the day/project/mood. I love all things fibery but the portability of knitting makes it my favourite.
    I like the Watermelon Wedges socks. Thanks for the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love knitting while my husband smiles in memory of his youth for his mother was a master knitter ... he even seems to enjoy hearing my soft counting. what a guy! your mittens look like i want to mush my hands right into them .. yummy!

    diane
    :-)
    ontario
    fraid2fly1@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes, Jackie you are welcome to come and visit the lambs anytime. Today would have been a good day as they came right to the front door when we were away. I was soooo impressed!! Anyway, I have tried Marion's wool yarn, since some of it has come from our sheep, and it is very nice. The boys love the socks for winter. I do want to try the watermelon socks since I read so many great comments on them - maybe you will be in luck, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your Little Bird Mittens caught my eye...they might be just the thing to get me through these last few brutal weeks of winter. I remain optimistic that spring is comin'! Your watermelon stripes just scream summer - I like those too.

    The idea of green yarn really appeals to me, not just yarn that is green in colour - I have just a ton of that! But I like the idea of creating something natural, pure, unprocessed and unique.

    I would love to become versed in the whole process - not just the knitting but spinning, dyeing, carding, shearing and maybe even having my own little flock of wool gatherers some day!!

    ReplyDelete

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory