Tuesday, February 3, 2009

To the Dump, To the Dump, To the Dump, Dump, Dump...



Here is an issue that I haven't wanted to deal with, in so many ways.

Our local dump. Technically, it is a landfill, but both literally and figuratively, it is a dump.

The landfill pictured here is NOT our dump. I didn't want to post any actual pictures yet because I didn't want to put anything incriminating on my blog post...not yet anyway.

I don't even go there - it's too upsetting (ok, that's also the excuse I use to get out of that job so that hubby has to do it, I admit it).

Picture this....beautiful Manitoulin Island, in the midst of the Great Lakes, full of inland lakes which are pure and pristine, with green forests and cliffs of limestone. A tiny fawn steps quietly through the forest, and the sound of the water lapping at the shore sets the tone of peacefulness....off in the distance you can hear the cry of a loon...

As you get closer to Assiginack Township, you can smell something...you wrinkle your nose in dismay. What is it?

You look up and see a cloud of black smoke....no, it's not a campfire...it's...

The Burning of the Garbage!

Our local landfill has a spot where you dump the trash, and a place to dump the "burnables", such as paper, cardboard, and unfortunately, everything and anything that people toss in there.

Update: Apparently I haven't been to the dump in a while;
burnables are now placed in a pile, and they are then sorted before any burning
takes place so that unburnable materials don't end up in the burn pit.


So where do you put the recyclables? Oh, you just throw those onto the garbage pile with everything else - there is NO RECYCLING *.

I'm not kidding - even in this day and age!

Something has to be done.

I don't want to turn this into a rant... as I understand that it's not as easy as saying "fix it". It's a problem that is going to involve time, money, a community pulling together, a new mindset, money...

What can be done?

I will be posting again on this topic, and welcome any comments and input. However, rants and extreme negativity will not be accepted. It won't solve anything anyway. Positive thinking and action are what is needed, so if you have some of those, comment away...

*Actually, thanks to the dump attendant, there is a collection bin for aluminum cans which he personally looks after to sell for cash to buy food to support all the dump cats that people have left there - which is a whole OTHER issue for some day...

6 comments:

  1. There is a little bit of information here about starting a recycling program, but it is more for schools or workplaces. http://green.cbc.ca/Act.aspx?actID=105


    Seeing abandoned cats is always heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we’re fortunate over here in Wikwemikong because we have a great recycling system. Before you get to the main dump part of the dump you have to pass by large containers clearly labeled for cans, plastic, newsprint and cardboard. The far back area of the dump has nice neat sections where you can leave your building materials, furniture, appliances, bicycles and car tires. Of course not everyone sorts their materials and uses these containers and areas but we do, and I believe the majority of the community does as well. I wish there was something for the glass though as we try to recycle all we can and I’ve even got a little box of batteries that I’ll be taking to The Source someday as I understand they will take care of disposing them for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering what to do with those used batteries...I didn't know that The Source would take them....Wiky does have a nice system going, which makes me wonder why it is so difficult for it to happen in other communities....although I do know that there are still many who do not sort on the Island and I think further education is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I moved to Manitowaning, I couldn`t believe there was no recycling program. We drive our recycling into Wiky when we go there. But, unfortunately we can`t recycle glass. There are also places in some cities where you can recycle plastic grocery bags.. do you know of any around here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know of anywhere to recycle grocery bags around...but you could donate them to the local church for their rummage sale - they use them to bag purchases for people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sudbury is pretty good for recycling, we can recycle grocery bags here. I just knit myself a really nice mesh bag for groceries though, and still say no to plastic bags if I'm able to carry things without it. We don't have to sort our recycling either, I've been to the recycling centre and saw how they do it all there. They had a system that worked pretty good. I'm sure it's more work still to have them sort it but I think people are more likely to recycle if they simply have to throw it in the blue bin. Also, when they pick up the recycling, they just throw it all in the same thing in the truck, so that part is quicker for them.

    Where I grew up though there was no recycling. They've started now, but don't take as much as here.

    ReplyDelete

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory