Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Green Energy is the Buzz

Ontario's proposed Green Energy Act, Bill 150, is now starting the legislative process.

Now, I'm not into politics, at all, but I have decided to shove my apathy aside to find out more about it. You can read about the proposed Bill online, or attend one of many workshops being held throughout Ontario. A meeting is being held on Manitoulin on February 25. For more information, follow this link: Green Workshop on Manitoulin.

The Toronto Star features an article today discussing the Bill's proposal that all home sellers must get a home energy audit before they sell. This will cost the seller about $300 for the audit. I have no problem with that (of course, I have no plans to sell my home either). However, we tried to get an energy audit last spring, before we put on our addition, and we waited, and waited, and waited. It seems that here on the Island there are long wait times - we were put on the "list". A couple of months later, we finally got a call. But the call wasn't to schedule the audit - it was about whether or not we wanted to be put on a NEW WAITING LIST!!! Ummm, too late...the addition was nearly built at that point.

So, if the Green Energy Act passes, it will definitely demand green job creation. I just hope that here on Manitoulin, and in other rural parts of the province, there are enough skilled people and businesses to handle the demands of the Act's requirements. Those of you currently looking for work, this may be one direction to head in.

The Act also deals with efficiency standards for appliances and products that are sold. It also deals with a bunch of other things that I haven't had time to dig through as two small, screeching children in the background.

So, if you are able to make it out to the Green Energy Workshop, either here on the Rock, or in another community in the province, be sure and let me know what it entails.

I won't be able to attend because I don't think anyone wants to be entertained by a yelling toddler and a crying baby....but if for some strange reason you do, you can just stop by my house and look after my kids for a while....I will go and renew MY energy by means of a nap!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory