Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Baby, You've Got the Cutest Little Cheeks



Applecheeks that is.
These are some of the most amazing cloth diapers that I have come across!

I had never used an envelope system of cloth diapers until I tried these, and now I'm not sure why I have waited so long.
AppleCheeks cloth diapers are made in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and they are trim-fitting, reusable, washable cloth diapers that I bet could convert even the most avid disposable diaper user (if there is such a thing).
My son, at 4 months was already 20 lbs, so I tried the size 2 AppleCheeks diaper on him (they come in 2 sizes: size 1 is 7-22lbs, and size 2 is 20-40lbs). It fit beautifully. (gave him the cutest-looking little bum - hence the name)

For comparison, I then tried it on my 35lb toddler, and it fit her really well too. The elastic in the legs and the multi-snap setting around the tummy made them so adjustable that they fit both kids equally well. I was impressed with this, but then came the real test ....
My current 2 piece diapers rarely leak - only when I leave the diaper sticking out of the cover (or when Daddy does, which occurs more often than Mommy-error). I was worried that the envelope system, with no outer cover to "catch" the spills, would have leaking around the legs.

After many soaked AppleCheeks diapers, I still haven't had a leak. Plus, since the insert is sandwiched within the diaper, it eliminates the user-error problem. I must admit, though, I did watch the video on their website just to make sure I was doing it properly - hey, I can't be the only one unsure of these things - why else would they have made a video?!

The inside of the cover is a layer of very soft, plushy fleece; this keeps wetness away from baby's skin, and feels so soft. I think they need to start making underwear out of this stuff - it would be great for these Canadian winters!

I'm also amazed at how much these things hold. They come with a choice of bamboo and hemp inserts - very eco-friendly right there! I tried the bamboo variety, and they held sooo much liquid (let's face it, with a toddler to chase after, the 2nd baby's bum doesn't get changed nearly as often as the first ones when they were little...admit it, you know it's true).




Plus, these envelope covers, which come in a wide variety of colours, just look so cute. With these you won't even need to put shorts on your little ones, if and when the warmer weather EVER comes.

Even hubby got in on the product testing - he calls these "the Cadillac of Cloth diapers". Because they are so quick and easy to use, we throw them into the diaper bag for quick-changes on the go. (and I also show them off to everyone when I'm out and about....inevitably they ask all sorts of questions because they really are something else).\

So, where do you get them? Here are some of the businesses that carry them, including La Boutique Azure Wraps, which is found under my blog's shopping links. A new online business, The Green Collection, also carries AppleCheeks and their January deal offers 10% off AppleCheeks starter packs.

These ain't your grandmother's cloth diapers.......although I'm thinking that when I'm old and decrepit these would sure beat the heck out of the ole Depends!!! Try them - if even my hubby likes them, I'm sure you will too! (and maybe you can convince your hubby to change more diapers by using them....I'm still working on mine)

2 comments:

  1. It almost makes me want to have a baby again, to try all these cloth diapers! I said 'almost'=) Maybe I can just borrow your kids and try the diapers on them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like any diaper, they fit babies differently. My daughter grew out of size 1 at 5 months old, she only weighed 17 lbs, definitely not 'chunky' by any stretch of the imagination. She has only recently started to fit the size 2 diapers. Like any other diaper, they'll work for some, not others.

    ReplyDelete

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory