Thursday, January 8, 2009

Glee Gum Review

I have been passing Glee Gum around at various family gatherings throughout the holiday season, and have gotten a very positive response. Everyone loved the variety of flavours - they all tasted great. Best of all, the ingredients are all natural.

I have a terrible sinus cold right now, so I have been chewing the peppermint flavoured Glee Gum, to help clear my sinuses so that I can breathe easier. Nice! My favourite flavour is the Tangerine; very yummy!


Glee Gum looks and tastes like regular gum, just without all the regular "crap" in it. The ingredients are cane sugar, glucose, gum base(chicle), rice syrup, natural flavors, citric acid, gum arabic, resinous glaze, beta carotene, beeswax and carnauba wax. Hey, I can even pronounce all of those!


One comment from yesterday's giveaway asked about the trees that the chicle is harvested from. Here is what I have found out:


The chicle sap is sustainably tapped from Sapodilla trees in the rainforests of Central America, much like maple syrup is here. Chicle not only forms the unique basis for the gum, it also provides a crucial income source for thousands of forest-dwellers, and an incentive to leave the trees standing. Who knew chewing gum could help the environment?


The company behind Glee Gum is Verve, Inc., and they have an environmental mission.
Verve uses recycled cardboard packaging on its products because it is 100% biodegradable. Verve is also a dedicated member of 1% for the Planet and Co-op America.

Being a teacher, I really like this next part. To help empower the next generation, Verve offers six academic scholarships per year to the sons and daughters of Mexican chicleros engaged in the study of environmental issues and sustainable forestry. I think that is awesome!

If you are looking for something educational and neat, they have a photographic slide show of how their gum is actually made. For all you teachers out there, this would also be great for use in the classroom ~ and for everyone else, it is just really interesting.


So, where can you get this great stuff? Well, you can enter my Wednesday Giveaway, but for all of you non-winners, here is a link to find out where you can buy it in Canada. For those close to my home, Manitoulin, North Bay has two retailers listed for Glee Gum. And who knows, perhaps a more local retailer will become a Glee Gum retailer?! It can't hurt to ask!

Next time you get a chance, try out some Glee Gum. Your mouth, and the environment, will thank you for it.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Shiny Green Penny,

    My name is John Wilpers. I am the Global Blog Coordinator for GlobalPost, a new international news organization set to launch on Jan. 12 (see www.globalpost.com).

    My job is to build a list of blogs that will appear on GlobalPost where we will have approximately 65 correspondents in some 46 countries plus high-profile correspondents writing about major themes we’re calling Latitudes (Commerce, Diplomacy, Environment/Green, Health, NGOs, Sports, Technology, Wheels).

    We are looking for enlightening, informative posts from bloggers writing (in English) about those themes. And we were very pleased and excited to find your blog about Environment/Green.

    So, I would like to extend an invitation to you to have the most recent post of "Green on the Rock" included on the Environment/Green page of GlobalPost.com as part of our “Global Blogs” service. (I also sent you an e-mail to double the chances of reaching you before we launch next week. Please pardon my enthusiasm for getting your posts onto GlobalPost.com!)

    After reviewing thousands of blogs worldwide, we have found "Green on the Rock" to be one that is thought provoking and gives readers your unique perspective on the issues and events in the world of Environment/Green.

    The way it would work if you accept our invitation is that we would use your RSS feed to place your most recent post on your personal page on GlobalPost.com. We would point back to your actual blog for comments and for archives, hopefully driving lots of traffic to your site. Each time you write a new post, it would replace the older one so only one post would appear on GlobalPost.com.

    By appearing on Global Post’s exciting new international news website, your words, viewpoints, and pictures would gain worldwide exposure. Your posts would not only appear instantly on globalpost.com but also possibly on the sites of our partners, including the Huffington Post (7.8 million U.S. and 9.7 million global monthly unique visitors) and other news and information websites.

    You don’t need to do anything differently. We do request that you consider pointing back to us from your blog (we will send out logos shortly for your consideration), but that’s not a requirement.

    You should know that we have a few guidelines that we observe here at Global Post:

    1) We do not publish racist, sexist, or misogynist comments (unless those comments are the subject of the post).
    2) We do not publish obscene language or photos. While we recognize that obscenity can be difficult to define, we know it when we see it and we will let you know if we think you have crossed our line.
    3) We do not permit plagiarism. Any work taken from another source must be attributed to that source.
    4) We do not publish libelous or slanderous language.
    5) We do not tolerate repeated errors of fact or misrepresentations of facts or quotes.
    6) We do not publish work inciting violence.

    Failure to observe these guidelines would result in the removal of your blog from GlobalPost. We would contact you, of course, to discuss the post in question.

    Because we have a broad multicultural audience holding every conceivable political and religious viewpoint, we want to respect their views while also possibly challenging them. We will host controversial work. We will encourage robust debate of the hottest topics. We will not stifle discussion, only abuse of people, belief systems, and laws.

    We hope these guidelines are acceptable to you.

    I look forward getting your permission to put your RSS feed on our site. Please reply to: jwilpers@globalpost.com. Thank you!

    Sincerely,

    John Wilpers

    PS If you choose to accept our invitation and would like a photo and a short biography to appear on GlobalPost, please send both to me with your confirmation e-mail or at some time shortly thereafter.

    JOHN WILPERS
    Global Blog Coordinator
    The Pilot House
    Lewis Wharf
    Boston, MA 02110
    617-688-0137
    jwilpers@globalpost.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother discover and pass along to me this wonderful thing called a Neti-Potty. It is used to clean your nostrils and get rid of nasal drip. It is great for people with allergies or sinus congestion. I was a little afraid, since the idea is to fill the pot with salt water and then dump it up your nose, allowing it to flow from one nostril out the other. It's the same nose filling sneezy sensation you get when Heather teachs you to do a wet exit in your kayak and you don't have a nose plug. The Neti-Potty really cleans the nostrils and I am breathing easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I forgot to add that this eliminates the need for antihistamines and boxes and boxes of kleenex. I'm sure that I am now saving trees, because I am using less kleenex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a coincidence! I was just looking up the Neti-Pot online yesterday to see what I could do to deal with my sinuses!!! I used a make-shift bottle to do it, but I think I may invest in the proper equipment so that it will be a bit easier/more comfortable. Since I am currently nursing I am staying away from OTC "drugs" and looking for alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my mom bought them at the pharmacy in Little Current - not sure which one. The pharmacy in Manitowaning may even have them. She bought the Himalayan salt to do with it. It is supposed to have magical healing properties, I'm just glad it didn't make my nose grow longer or hair grow out of it. Yesterday,Rebecca used it on her stuffy nose and now she is breathing better and saving trees.

    ReplyDelete

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory