Which is, to READ LABELS!
I discovered that I had been remiss in this when I was bathing my kids. My young son had already been out of the tub, dressed and was happily playing in his exersaucer. My daughter was still in the tub, "fimming", and so I settled in for the long haul - she loves to play in the tub, and I love the chance just to sit and supervise....it's almost like a mini-break for mom.
So I put my time to wonderful use, and was tidying up the medicine cabinet. I noticed a bottle of children's shampoo in the back, and took it out to put it out to use next bath time.
Then I flipped it around.
And read the label.
I was aghast. I had picked it up on sale in a natural health store, and since it was from a well-known green brand, I didn't bother to read it in the store.
Big mistake!
Now, it's one thing for me to err on the purchase of shampoo for myself, and end up with an item with less-than-favourable chemicals in it. But when it's for my kids, that's when I get mad as H.E. Double hockey sticks!
I got mad as h!@#!
Here was a product, that was even called Just For Kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It contained multiple parabens, DEA's, PEG's, and probably some ABC's and some XYZ's ...I don't actually know what was green about this item, other than the fact that it was manufactured by a reportedly green company, and I think there may have been a green-coloured tree on the label.
Probably like many consumers, I am too trusting in manufacturers, and believe that if it is a product for kids, then it is going to be safer - and I know better! Often, the only thing about products that makes them for kids is the slick advertising geared to the kiddies and the colourful packaging.
Now, I don't want to start doing negative reviews on products, so I am not going to say the name of the company, or anything further about the product. Except for this:
- I will never buy from that company again
- I will never take the shortcut of not reading a label
Don't get hosed like I did.
Check out the Cosmetic Safety Database "What Not To Buy" Fact sheet for more details.


Blog Search Engine
Oh I have been duped many a time! Lesson learned...make sure to read your labels everyone!
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to know I'm not alone....I just feel so ...inadequate, when I end up getting ripped off!
ReplyDelete