No, not really...but any day with 2 young children is adventure, am I right? All you moms out there? I'm sure my dear hubby has read the title and is thinking to himself, "why does she have time to have adventures.....no wonder the house looks like a bomb hit....I should have taken the maternity leave from work....."!What really happened is this. I'm sick with a sinus cold, my infant is sick and keeps me up all night, and I knew that I wasn't really wanted at playgroup because no one wants a Typhoid Mary around their kids, because sick kids are no fun! So, I called up recently-retired Mom to help me put the day in.
Well, the next thing you know, we have the kids in the car and we are heading to South Baymouth, to the house of someone who fixes sewing machines in his garage. Why was I heading there? Well, those of you who know me are probably sniggering at their computers right now - but I was going to buy a used sewing machine.
I had no idea that this person or service even existed. How much more "Manitoulin" can you get than this? On a counter, next to his four-wheeler and gun case, are the sewing machines he has fixed up. I looked at the machine, gave my expert opinion ( "yep, that's a sewing machine there alright"), and turned to my mother for her real-expert opinion.
This is where things get even more silly than my late-night leg sugaring debacle. Why the heck am I buying a sewing machine?
For a long time, I have been passing all of my sewing projects, clothes to be altered, etc. etc., on to my dear mother. Well, the time has come for me to sew my own things. I have done some sewing in the past.
Now with 2 young children, I am going to try and revive my lost sewing "skills" (hahaha). Not only is it practical, it is also green. I can make alterations to clothing, sew useful items from recycled and reclaimed fabric and clothing, and a plethora of other things.
Or, I could also have a sewing disaster on my first project and that will be the end of that.
If you are wondering why my day was an eco-adventure, well, that has more to do with the actual sewing machine. It is an old metal sewing machine, probably circa the year of my birth, but it is totally reconditioned and will probably last me for my sewing career, however long or short-lived that may be.
They don't make things the way that they used to, that's for sure. I'm sure it will outlast any new machine that I could have bought from (insert any name of big box store here), and, perhaps best of all, it only cost me $60!!!!!!!!!!!
Ooops, hubby is gonna know I was shopping AGAIN - but what a deal! I'm sure he will understand. I possible saved a machine from a landfill, saved on the environmental impact of purchasing a new sewing machine, and saved a few hundred dollars. Gee, I'm practically a super hero!
Be sure and continue to check back on my blog to see how my sewing adventure goes. If nothing else, I may have a really nice, used sewing machine up for sale!
Ad from McCall's magazine, April 1976


Blog Search Engine
Oh, I just can't wait to see you sew the 'plethora of other things', you have mentioned. Perhaps we can have a sewing day and you can show me what you have made?
ReplyDeleteHaha! Some people are so funny - LOL! Watch your back at hockey next week :-)
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite sewing projects is a jean/flannel or fleece quilt. I have produced a few for family and friends. You gather old jeans, usually the ones that no longer fit after Christmas or having several children, and cut them into 8 inch squares.
ReplyDeleteYOu decide how big you want the quilt then cut the number of squares to correspond to the size - a 4ft x 4 ft quilt will require 36 jean squares and 36 flannel/fleece squares. The quilt will be a bit smaller because you will have a seam allowance.
It kinda neat cause sometimes the kids recognize their old pants. You can include the pockets or other neat things. Then out of fleece, which makes a heavy, but very warm quilt or flannel - bit lighter quilt you cut one 8 inch square for every jean square you cut.
You line up one jean and one flannel/fleece square with wrong sides facing. Sew two of thes squares together. I usually sew six strips of six, then begin sewing the strips together. When done you are suppose to clip the edges, so it makes a pretty frayed edge, I don't.
These are great quilts for taking to the hockey game, sitting outside by the fire, covering kids in a sleigh or keeping the car for emergencies. This is a good beginner project - just need to sew in a straight line several times.
Hmmm, sounds great! Beware, I may show up on your doorstep with my "new" machine and a handful of old pants, looking for assistance :-)
ReplyDeleteCome on over Heather would be happy to get you started. I love being able to sew. Without my sewing skills the Sailors in the HMS Pinafore would have been in their underwear. This year it's Pirate outfits.
ReplyDelete