So, here's the deal: I really, really, really hate to shave my legs - almost as much as I hate cleaning floors! It's a chore. On the other hand, I really, really, really hate hairy legs. Oh, what's a girl to do!
As I was perusing various "green" websites, I came across a recipe for body sugaring. It was used by the Ancient Egyptians. The Art of Body Sugaring. Hmm, it seemed easy enough, so I thought, "what the hey, let's give it a try".
Now, understand here, I have never had my legs waxed, so I really wasn't sure what I was in for. I just told myself that there is no way it could hurt more than childbirth, so I went for it.
I gathered my ingredients: 2 cups of sugar, 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice, and 1/4 cup of water. I stirred all ingredients together in a pot, put it on the stove at medium heat, and heated it to the soft ball stage on the candy thermometer ( 250 degrees).
All natural, all eco-friendly, and all cheap(er than paying to have it done in a salon).
I then poured the mixture into an empty glass jar to let it cool. As I was pouring it, I managed to spill a bit and decided to taste it, as it sure smelled delicious. It tasted just like a lime lollipop, which is essentially what the mixture is....candy!
At this point, my husband is watching me in animated horror as I am eating this "waxing" mixture - and I was also procrastinating from actually having to try it out.
The mixture cooled enough, and I had cut strips of an old cotton dishtowel to use for the "wax" removal. I took a dull plastic knife, and began to spread it on my leg. Then, I put the cotton strip on, rubbing it in the direction of hair growth. I grabbed the end, pulled it off quickly in the opposite direction , and there you go!
Well, that's what was supposed to happen anyway. The first few strips ended up a gooey mess, with a soggy cotton strip and my sugar mixture stuck to my leg, my fingers and the edge of the bathroom floor. However, as I continued on, I found that the trick is to keep the sugar thin enough, leave the strip on long enough, and pull fast enough. It is something that seems to get better with practice.
It didn't hurt nearly as much as childbirth, didn't take as long, and I might even try it again someday! My skin was red and tender, but I had bought some organic aftershave for my hubbie that I tried on it, and it seemed to do the trick nicely. I think with a bit of practice it will be easier and more effective...as I did have a few patchy spots that I just ended up shaving anyway. The majority of it was nice and smooth though.
So, I challenge you/dare you - try it! If you do, be sure and post a comment to let us know how it worked out for you. And if you make the mixture and then wimp out, you can always use it to make candy!
52 Blocks 52 Weeks Challenge
7 years ago


Blog Search Engine
No comments:
Post a Comment
Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.