Some things from childhood we never forget: our first first pet, our first day of school, our first kiss, and in my case, my first winter "ride" a.k.a toboggan.
Our family had two of those huge wooden toboggans that you could cram about 8 kids onto, and away you went down the hill. Back in those days, we didn't need helmets, parental supervision, or even a safe path down the hill - the more hazards the better!
And, being a competitive family, there was no end to the contests we could have: fastest toboggan down the hill, the most kids that remained intact all the way to the bottom, who could stand upright on it while going at breakneck speeds (no one knew what a snowboard was back then).
Perhaps the best thing about them was that they were INDESTRUCTIBLE (unless you left it where the snow blower would hit it, but even then you just needed to replace the pull rope). The cheap plastic crap that you buy nowadays doesn't usually last much longer than a few slides down the hill, much less the 20+ years that our old wooden ones did).
I have so many happy winter memories about those old wooden beauties, and now my children will hopefully create their own. At Christmas, each family received a brand-new wooden toboggan from my Mom and Dad. I can't believe you can still buy these things, but I guess retro is "in".
I know my post from yesterday, OUR Story of Stuff, was about NOT buying toys and things for the kids. That doesn't mean we deprive them of any fun - we just make our purchases wisely. One item that is quality and built to last is far better than 10 cheaply-made items that don't last any longer than someone's New Year's diet resolution.
These days, I really think about purchases that I make, to ensure that it is as green as possible, and made to last. I know my hubby thinks I indiscriminately shop online, but everything really is carefully considered and researched , dear (well, most of it anyway).
I can't wait to create winter memories over the years with my kids and our wooden toboggan. I guess the next step will be to research "green" waxes for our retro winter "ride" to give my kids the advantage and beat their cousins to the bottom of the hill!
Don't forget, tomorrow is the last day to enter the Glee giveaway. And check back on Wednesday for this week's new Green Giveaway item.


Blog Search Engine
Hi Heather
ReplyDeleteAllison linked me up to your blog - very funny and informative - one question: where do you find the time?!!!
I've reserved the book Go Green Live Rich at the library, and an anxious to start reading. Thanks for the recommendation. I share a lot of your views and outlooks, so I will be checking back regularly.
Meredith
Oh, the old wooden toboggan such memories of childhood. I am on the search for a wooden toboggan. Someone who share remain nameless, but whose name begins with "P", tossed my very well used and needing lots of repair wooden toboggan in the dump. Obivously, he did not understand the importance or significance of a wooden toboggan. Oh, if they could talk, the stories they would tell. So, if anyone knows of or comes across a wooden toboggan let me know.
ReplyDeleteOops, should have been "shall" not share.
ReplyDeleteI will be sure and watch for a toboggan on the yard sale circuit this summer...although you can buy them new at Home Hardware and Sears . You can even get seat pads for them nowadays - how wimpy is that?! I guess I could always sew something up with my new sewing machine....where did I put that thing anyway? Perhaps "P" could build you a new wooden sled....I may be able to hook him up with some tools if he needs them - after all, he owes you!
ReplyDeleteAccording to someone I work with, the sewing machine is on the counter. I think he is waiting for you to produce some amazing sewing project. You could use the jean quilt idea to make a pad for your toboggan. Let me know, I could pop over sometime and get you started.
ReplyDeletePeter's got the tools to make lots of things, but lacks the time. We are in constant renovation mode.