Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Dirty Laundry"

Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry

The lyrics to Don Henley's song "Dirty Laundry" sum it up so well....for the laundry detergent companies anyway! They love your dirty laundry, and to sell you their products to wash it.

My favourite "lies" are the containers that all proclaim that the products are green because they are "earth-friendly". Natural, earth-friendly and green are just buzz-words used in the industry that really don't mean anything because it is not regulated.
So, what makes a "greener"laundry detergent?

Phosphate-free is a start, although most products are heading this direction because of Canadian and U.S. laws that regulate the amount of phosphates allowed in products.

Another thing to avoid is fragrance. These cocktails of synthetic ingredients serve no purpose other than to entice you to buy their product, and to make your clothes smell...nicer. For those people with sensitivities and allergies, they tend to create nice headaches and worse.

Added dyes? Who cares - your laundry doesn't, and no one else is going to see it.


Bleach is another ingredient to avoid - as well as being toxic, it breaks down the fibres in your clothing, ultimately leading to the item wearing out that much sooner.


There is a reason that you are to buy "special" laundry soap for baby clothes - so that all those chemicals in the "regular" products won't irritate the baby, cause a rash or other skin reactions. So why do you want to use them on the clothes for the rest of the family?

The Guide to Less Toxic Products has a great write-up about laundry detergents (as well as most other household cleaners), for more information as well as some suggested brands to try that are available in Canada. It is a fantastic site that I use quite frequently for tips ans suggestions.


In the near future, I will review what is one of the best "green" laundry detergents that I have come across. No need to own several different types, I have found one that does it all.

Don't forget to enter this week's Green Giveaway by Jan. 27th!
LG Washing Machine image from www.sears.ca

4 comments:

  1. Do you have a recommendation for the 'greenest' washing machine and dryer combo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about specific brands, but look for the Energy Star appliances. Front-load washers are the most efficient (they use less water). Wash in cold water (I use cold for everything but diapers). Hang to dry on drying rack or clothesline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat said: I won the cleaning products a few weeks back. The fabric softener is amazing. I never use softeners because of the odours and know that they can leave a residue. however, the green fabric softener worked really well on our "health sheets" which are full of static/ i also put some in with a load of towels. great results and no odour. i will definitely keep this product on my laundry shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great Pat! I haven't tried any softeners out because I don't use them on my clothes due to residue on "technical" fabrics for sports....but it would be nice on the towels that get "crunchy" when they are line-dried.

    ReplyDelete

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory