Thursday, December 4, 2008

Hockey Night in Manitowaning

So, last night was mommy time for me - meaning I got to leave the house and stop being mom for a couple of hours.

In the dressing room there was a flurry of activity as we "finely honed athletes"" went about the task of suiting up and NOT complaining about our spouses :-) There was a cacophony of sounds with the conversation, the laughing , the teasing of those who mistakenly got dressed in the wrong order (hey, I'm sure it happens in the NHL too!!)....and , of course, that unmistakable sound of ripping shin pad tape.

I got to thinking, now here is an item that is meant to be used briefly and then thrown away - what a waste and unnecessary expense. There ARE other options.

You can now buy shin pads with velcro straps on them. However, don't throw your old ones out and buy new ones just for this reason. You can also buy velcro straps that loop around the shin pads to hold them in place- and they are cheap. I think I may have seen them in Breakaway Sports in Little Current, but don't hold me to that.

Or, you can do what my mom used to do when we were kids....get some wide sewing elastic, sew them into loops, and slide them in place over the pads . Gee mom, you were green before your
time!

Socks falling down? Dig out some old-fashioned garters ( hockey ones, not the frilly, lacy ones, unless you want some good laughs and jeers in the dressing room), or get a jock, or a jill for you girls out there, that comes integrated in a pair of shorts that has the velcro strips sewn in to stick the socks to. See ? Problem solved! No more shin pad tape to be thrown out after every practice.

Now if only I could take the money being saved to pay someone to teach me how to shoot the darn puck...

P.S. Don't forget to post a comment on my Jammer Belt entry for your chance to win!

1 comment:

  1. Hi out there , it's hockey night tonight , Ya ,I remember those velcro straps but the ones I used had a S style clips on them starting at the ankle they would wrap around your entire shin pad holding it firmly in place, they lasted at least two or more seasons, I also recall team mates asking who has tape on a regular bases , well needless to say it saved me a lot of cash. anonymous.

    ReplyDelete

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory