
Before Christmas I wrote about the Tree Gift Game that my family plays. Everyone put in a wrapped gift that was "green", and there was certainly a wide variety of items!
Some of the good ones? "Eco-friendly" de-icer was a great idea, from the local Rona store, as was the homemade maple syrup. There were several re-gifts such as a fondue set, and a spice rack which came complete with a list of suggested uses such as arts and crafts materials storage and workshop storage for small bits and pieces ( kinda glad I didn't win that one...too much work to get that organized - haha!).
There were a variety of used books that traded hands, and some baked goods that were not reused or recycled (thankfully) but rather, homemade and delicious. I'm still upset that I didn't win the banana cake, but if I whine enough my mother, who has just retired, may make me one of my own (hint, hint, hint).
The kids had some great "green" gifts too, such as lightly used toys, books, and my daughter got a copy of Dr. Suess's The Lorax, which is a great book to use for all you teachers out there, with an environmental message. This copy was even published on eco-friendly recycled paper - what a terrific gift!
I found that the best part of the "green" rule for our Christmas exchange was that there was a lot of thinking and creativity that went into the gifts. Next year I think some organic wine or beer would be great options for the adults - and I hope that I win one!


Blog Search Engine
Happy holidays; nice to hear more about your tree gifts. The more I read the posts on your website, the more it reminds me that reusing was a way of life for the majority of people. Then we got so wealthy as a group, that there was no need to make do, pass on, re use, recycle etc. The circle has come back around, but for a slightly different reason: to conserve for the environment's sake, not because of want or lack of resources. For whatever reason, as an aging(yuck) citizen, it is great to see and hear about your endeavours. Keep up the great work, and I am looking forward to the next contest.
ReplyDeletePat- maybe I should get some funky name and join the modern world!!!!!