Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Tree Gift Game


Our family is a bit nuts. Always has been. I'm the sane one and I keep hoping to rub off on the rest of them.


Anyway, every year we have this game that we play on Christmas Day - called the "Tree Gift Game".


What are the rules? Well, it's kinda hard to say because my sister seems to change them every year so that she ends up with a good gift out of it.


What happens is that everyone gets a gift, wraps it up, and puts it near the tree to make a big pile. Then we all draw a number to see who goes first, to pick a gift. After they have picked, the person with the next number goes and can pick a gift from the "tree" aka the pile, OR, take the gift that someone else has chosen. Those are the basics, but there dozens of other rules that seem to go along with it such as "Lisa always has to get the worst gift", and, "always pick the gift wrapped in newspaper because it's a good one", and, "whoever put in the crappiest gift has to put something better in next year".


Anywho, this year we have tightened up the regulations for the gifts. In previous years, anything went. Regifted items, lottery tickets, wine...anything went. This year, we have a new twist. The theme is "Go Green", and the gift can be new or regifted or recycled, but it has to be green and eco-friendly in some way. And, perhaps the most important rule is, IT HAS TO BE USEFUL TO SOMEONE!!


The reason for the final rule is this: Every year there are some horrible gifts that could only have been wedding presents from the 1960's and 70's as they are soooooo tacky. Every year, my sister-in-law Lisa seems to end up with these delights. It's to the point where I am sure she has contemplated to staying home by herself on Christmas Day so that she doesn't end up with these wonderful gems.


The only problem that I foresee is varying interpretations of the words "USEFUL TO SOMEONE". For my two brothers, who regularly "shop" at the dump, they have a different view of this from someone who is sane and normal, such as me, for example. But we will see what happens.


This is our family's way to be green this Christmas. That, and, as we do every year, using recycled or reusable gift wrap such as newspaper, cloth bags etc.


Do you have any green activities that your family is doing this holiday season? Be sure to comment and share!

1 comment:

  1. From Pat: Loved your tree story. At school for the past two years I have done Kris Kringle for my class from me. My two kids were spoiled with stuff, even though we tried not to. Now they are adults, I have downsized their stuff through yard sales, give aways and the dump. However,there was still more. Rather than spend two dollars each at the buck store, I wrap all of the things that I can find and bring them to school for the last day. Of course the kids are excited and play the game with enthusiasm. I have rules but at the end they trade with whomever they want. It is hard to believe that I got rid of about 100 pieces of stuff in two years. However, it must be time to retire, as I am now out of good stuff.
    I am also a wrapping paper, ribbon and bow saver. This came from my frugal mom who lived a very hard life during the depression.
    Thanks for your wonderful stories. Look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete

Any comments may be deleted at the discretion of the moderator. Negativity, language and other unsavoury content will mean your comment will be deleted.

 
Resources Top Blogs Blog Flux Local blogarama - the blog directory Blog Search Engine Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory