When I was pregnant with my oldest child, I knew that I wanted to use cloth diapers. I couldn't imagine throwing money away, and the environmental impact of disposable diapers is overwhelming.
Did you know that the average baby goes through 5000 diapers before they are potty trained? Not only do disposables take up a lot of space in a landfill, they also contain chemical gels to absorb moisture, are bleached, and can often cause allergic reactions in babies because of these chemicals. Ick! Not what I want next to my baby's skin.
I chose to use Mother-Ease diapers with my kids, because they had been recommended to me by other moms. Here is a brief summary of what I found out when I dove into the world of cloth-diapering:
- cloth diapers are WAY cheaper - Mother-Ease one-size are particularly economical because you only ever need to buy one size of diapers for your child
- no poop explosions! disposables always seem to leak up the back and through the sides with those nasty BM's - I have never had that problem with my Mother-Ease
- diaper pails ARE easy to deal with - I got a couple of large pails with lids from a local restaurant, and I just dump the dirty diapers in
- laundry is easy - just dump the pails in the washer, line drying is best and cheapest, and there you go - I would rather do that than take stinky diapers out to the garbage can, then make sure they get to the dump before the smell kills small animals
There are many companies out there now making cloth diapers. Over the next while I will be doing a review of Mother-Ease Toddle-Ease/Sandy's diapers, which are made in Ontario. I will also be reviewing AppleCheeks cloth diapers from Quebec.
Don't forget to post a comment to this week's giveaway item of natureclean cleaning products for your chance to win!


Blog Search Engine
Back when my kids were babies all we had were big ol square pieces of cloth for diapers. . . well, come to think of it, we did have a few that had some extra padding down the middle, but nothing like you show pictures of.
ReplyDeleteStill, we changed washed and dried and not only for enviro reasons. . . those disposables were expensive!